Is there anything better than creamy tomato soup? How about creamy tomato soup without the cream? Yep! A Whole30 Tomato Soup! And it’s super easy, too. For me, personally, I love doing soups for lunch. They’re easy to make in bulk and they’re typically very healthy so long as you jam pack them with vegetables! I’m not going to lie though, the inspiration for this particular soup was the Whole30 program. I tried the program, and I’m not going to say I failed, but I realized that it just wasn’t for me. It has given me perspective on how I eat and the types of food that make me feel better about my body…but I don’t think you could pay me to eat cauliflower rice ever again. Needless to say, I searched and searched for recipes I knew I would like and came across a variety of recipes for tomato soup, and I ran with what I knew about good food and made it my own! It’s easy enough, filling, and is a great dairy-free option for lunch. Not to mention, there’s nothing better than a bowl of tomato soup during these cold weather months. I hope you enjoy!
Whole30 Tomato Soup
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 28 oz. San Marzano tomatoes, diced
- 1.5 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup of lite coconut milk
- 1/2 tbsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First things first, add your oil to a large pot and begin sauteing your onions and garlic until onions become translucent.
- Add your San Marzano tomatoes (or diced tomatoes of choice…San Marz are the best, though!), chicken stock and tomato paste to the pot.
- Add in your coconut milk and all of your spices and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once the soup boils, simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes. You can simmer for longer to develop flavors, as this is a pretty low maintenance soup! Just be sure to stir intermittently.
- Take an immersion blender or ladle your soup into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Serve with basil, cheese, crackers, or your favorite sandwich.