New year, same me is the vibe for 2021! I am all about taking things that I love and transforming them into an alternative version of itself to help drive toward my own nutritional goals.
When I am craving pasta, I am usually craving Penne alla Vodka. This time around, I’m taking a dairy-free spin with cashew cream as my heavy whipping cream substitute, combined with the most delicious Tuttorosso San Marzano Style Chopped Tomatoes in Puree with Sea Salt.
I love Tuttorosso Tomatoes because they drive toward my goal of having quality food you can taste and see without any GMOs or artificial ingredients. I am all about eating clean and eating quality food this year, and these tomatoes are my key ingredient for this recipe!
This luscious Dairy-Free Penne alla Vodka became a favorite when I made it for my family this winter! I love this sauce, as it’s an Italian comfort food that I learned to enjoy as an adult and hope to share it as a comfort classic traditional recipe that I can share for years to come!
Please view the original recipe on the FeedFeed at ff.recipes/dairy-free-penne-alla-vodka.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup Tuttorosso Tomato Paste
- 1 & 1/3 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (28 oz.) can Tuttorosso San Marzano Style Chopped Tomatoes in Puree with Sea Salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cashew cream (homemade recipe noted below)
- 16 oz cooked penne pasta
- Cook your penne pasta until al dente, and set aside.
- Add olive oil, onion, and garlic to a large stock pot on medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, crushed red pepper salt and pepper to the stock pot, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in Tuttorosso San Marzano Style Chopped Tomatoes in Puree with Sea Salt, along with water, vodka, herbs and sugar. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew cream and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Serve sauce with cooked penne and fresh herbs!
To make homemade cashew cream, add 1 cup of unsalted cashews to a bowl of water and allow them to soak for at least 4 hours, but overnight is best. Drain your cashews, rince, and blend with water until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.