I’d like to introduce an old favorite to you. You see, this sandwich was something I invented when I was trying to lose weight after college, but wanted something ridiculous and delicious and cheesy all at the same time. And you know what? It’s stood the test of time and I STILL crave it (for only 325 calories, I might add!). Seared chicken breast topped with hot giardiniera relish, on a toast bun with mozzarella cheese…like COME ON. This isn’t diet food…this is real food. You don’t need to deprive yourself, punish yourself, or make an enemy out of food. Eat the things you know will make you happy, and I can tell you…this sandwich makes me happy. Check out the recipe and share with me what your favorite “not a diet” low cal meal is!
Giardiniera Chicken Sandwich
- 1 pound of thin sliced chicken breasts
- 8 tbsp of giardiniera relish
- 8 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 buns – optional, if you’re sticking to a low-carb diet!
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Optional: sliced garlic
- Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic power. You can also add sliced garlic to your chicken breasts by creating slits and inserting the garlic. I love to cook it this way, but don’t always do it based on time!
- Brown your chicken on medium heat in a frying pan. Be sure to use some olive oil spray or a non-stick pan.
- Remove your chicken breasts and slice in half.
- Add your two halves to your buns, leaving the top part of the bun face up.
- Add your giardiniera relish and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place your sandwiches under the broiler on high for about 2-3 minutes, or until bubbly and the bun is golden brown.