When I was a kid, I was obsessed with Cajun flavored anything. It was my gateway drug into spicy food. If Cajun chicken pasta was on the menu, you better believe I was ordering it. There’s just something about a spicy, creamy, carby dish that is irresistible. That’s what brings me to this Spicy Cajun Pasta with Chicken Sausage recipe.
I was recently in a food slump…you know those days where you just don’t want to eat anything, but you want to eat EVERYTHING and it’s just an indecisive mess of “what the hell do I make?” Anyway, I was talking to my mom about it and told her I had all this jalapeno sausage from Trader Joe’s and heavy whipping cream, and she said, “Why don’t you make a Cajun pasta? You used to love that when you were a kid.”
BINGO BANGO. Yes. How could I forget? How could I remember?! How do you even make this?!?! Well, I figured it out. Which is why you’re reading this, I’m sure. Or perhaps you’ve just skipped to the actual recipe like most people do. Regardless, here is my take on a Spicy Cajun Pasta with Chicken Sausage!
Spicy Cajun Pasta with Chicken Sausage
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 container of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into coins
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of spinach
- 28 oz whole plum tomatoes, smashed with your hands
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb pasta, like penne or rotini
- 4 sliced links of Trader Joe’s jalapeno chicken sausage, or your other favorite spicy or mild sausage
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt + pepper
- If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know the drill. Get that big pot of water on the fire for your pasta. Your water will be ready and boiling to get your pasta cooked in line with when the veggies and meat are done.
- Add in your prepared vegetables to a frying pan with a little bit of olive oil spray. Using olive oil spray keeps the calories down! Cook your vegetables until soft.
- In another pan, add sliced chicken sausage and cook until lightly browned. Add you chicken sausage to your pan with your vegetables.
- Add your spice blend to your chicken and veggies. Saute until fragrant. Add your tomatoes and allow this to bubble up and simmer for a few minutes.
- At this point, your water should be boiling, so get that pasta in the pot!
- Add your heavy to your sauce, vegetables, and chicken sausage. Stir until completely combined and set the heat on low.
- Once your pasta is done, add it to your sauce!
- Serve with parmesan cheese and top with a bit of parsley for a fancy dancy meal!