Okay, I’ll start this thing off by saying this spicy chicken sandwich recipe is a truly semi-homemade recipe, BUT like 42x better than what I’ve ever gotten at a fast food restaurant…not counting Popeye’s because let’s be real that sandwich was either sent by God or the Devil and we’ll never know which until the apocalypse (which may or may not be happening as we speak? I don’t know.)
ANY WAY. Back to the spicy chicken sandwich. With this whole quarantine thing, weekday lunches have been a whole new ballgame. The options are endless. You’re no longer tied to your soup or Lean Cuisine or bagged salad…no longer grabbing the same turkey sandwich, or in my case, BELOVED NAF NAF (I miss you Naf Naf). No, no. With this whole work from home thing, you can actually create something truly magical for lunch without it taking up the entire break time. Which brings me to my new love of sandwiches.
I was never really into sandwiches, but I recently discovered the magic of Caulipower chicken tenders and this low calorie bread…and the two make magic. Ya see, I’ve been trying to eat healthier and this does the trick. I’ve cured it. I’ve cured my fat ass. Just kidding, it’ll always be there (thank god). I’ll note that even though I use name brands in this recipe, it is by no means paid for by said-brands. I just really like them, enjoy them, and hell, they’ve helped me lose a few pounds this quarantine! So enjoy, modify, and share your love in the comments.
- 2 Caulipower Spicy(ish) Chicken Tenders
- 1 Healthy Life wheat bun
- 1/4 cup of raw spinach, torn…it’s just easier for it to stay on the bread
- a few slices of thinnnnly sliced cucumber or pickles
Ingredients for your spicy yogurt sauce:
- 1 individual container of 0% Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp of any hot sauce you like, but I love Yellowbird Habanero sauce
- Step number one is simple: Get excited because you’re about to eat.
- Throw your chicken tenders in the oven or air fryer. I made mine in the air fryer, but just make sure you cool until they’re completely done and crispy.
- While you wait for your chicky tendies to cook up, get your bun – you can toast it or just have it as it is. Slice up your cucumber and tear your spinach and set aside.
- Make your sauce! This sauce will last you a while — I use it on sandwiches or dip some oven fries or raw veggies in it. It’s your call. But I put my Greek yogurt in a new, resealable container and stir in my hot sauce. I let it hang out in the fridge until I’m ready to assemble my sandwich.
- It’s assembly time — I schmear my spicy yogurt sauce on both pieces of the bun, on the bottom, I add my thinly sliced cucumbers and spicy. And then stack my two chicken tenders on top. And there you have it! The best, quickest spicy chicken sandwich you can get at home.