Tzaziki. What a magical word. Along with “tahini,” it’s one of my favorite words around. Even better, this homemade tazaziki recipe is delicious and easy to make. I absolutely love any Mediterranean meal that I can get my hands on. This tzaziki recipe pairs perfectly with any Greek chicken or vegetable spread that I want.
My mom creates these amazing chicken pitas every summer, and a few years back, we decided to try our hands at making our favorite tzaziki sauce from the hometown famous gyro joint in our little suburb. Don’t you just love those small little diners in your hometown that serve some of the best food. Give me all the fries, hot dogs, and gyros.
After some trial and error, we have a homemade tzaziki recipe that is not only healthy, but amazingly delicious. I love that about making new recipes – it’s always fun to try new ways to make a recipe amazing!
The low fat Greek yogurt brings a creamy, savory flavor, while cucumber and garlic bring the brightness to this homemade tzaziki recipe. It’s just so garlicky and refreshing. It may be my favorite sauce…or even dip that I have ever created!
Some folks use dill in their tzaziki, but I’m not make some dill dip…no…this is something that I could easily eat by the spoonful. In fact, I definitely have eaten this by the spoonful while prepping for my meals!
This would even be great with my Greek Chicken Salads! Check out the full recipe below. Share with me how you plan to use this tzaziki recipe in your meals!
- 2 small containers of Fage 0% greek yogurt
- 1 half of a cucumber, shredded
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- juice from half of a lemon
- Empty containers of Greek yogurt into a large bowl. Mix with a spoon until spoon.
- Cut a cucumber in half and use a cheese grater to shred the cucumber until you have nothing left but the end of the cucumber.
- Take shredded cucumber and place into layered paper towels or a kitchen towel to drain the moisture. This step is key to not having over-watery sauce.
- Use a microplane or mince garlic into the yogurt. Add cucumber.
- Mix cucumber, garlic and yogurt together.
- Add lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or throughout the week with Greek chicken salads or pitas, pita bread or crudités.