Zucchini rollatini! Try saying that 5x fast. I mean, I’ve been walking around my apartment saying zucchini rollatini all day like my life depends on it. Now it’s been a minute since I’ve posted a MaryMangia original, but here we are. We’re back. I mean it’s not like there hasn’t been anything going on on a global scale. Zero changes in my own personal life either *stares in snark*.
Anyhow, I decided I needed to make this this summer because I was craving eggplant parmesan, but zucchini always just turns out to be more reliable…plus I already have an eggplant parmesan roll ups recipe on the blog, so why not try something different.
The funniest part about this recipe is that I ordered 7 zucchini from my Amazon Prime Whole Foods Delivery, and they gave me like 14 zucchini. How? Idk. But thank you, Daddy Bezos. I guess I’ll go ahead and make this twice because it turned out just so nice.
Oh, you thought I was going to write more because I need to obey the Google overlords and make this a certain number of characters so it can be ranked and achieve premium SEO? Well, you’re absolutely right.
A quick tip: Double dry out your zukes.
Yes, salt your zucchini for about 15 minutes and then pat them dry…get all that salt off. Then, what you’re going to do is lay the zucchini out on a greased baking dish or tin foil and bake them in the oven for like 30 minutes (or 20 if they’re super thin). You’ll thank me later when your dinner doesn’t turn into a zucchini soup mess.
Well, I guess it’s about time I get to the recipe.
It's summer time and what better way to use up all that zucchini than to pair it with gorgeous ricotta and mozzarella cheese for a light zucchini rollatini!
- 7+ medium sized zucchini
- 15 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 5 tbsp parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 6 tbsp egg whites
- 3 tbsp basil, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp salt, plus 1 pinch for cheese mixture
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- a dash of black pepper
- a dash of nutmeg - literally like 1-2 quick shakes from the container
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup marinara sauce of your choice, I use Rao's
- olive oil spray for baking sheet/tin foil and baking dish
- Use a mandolin or a knife to thinly slice zucchini.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Dry the zucchini out with a thin layer of salt on paper towels. Blot them dry after 15 minutes.
- Put dried zucchini on a greased baking sheet or tin foil and have them cook in the over for 20-30 minutes depending on thinness. This is to ensure they are extra dry for baking.
- While zucchini baked, all herbs, spices, garlic, lemon zest, egg whites, parmesan, and ricotta together in a bowl.
- Add a layer of sauce to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Once zucchini is done baking and has cooled for about 10 minutes, begin assembly the rollatinis.
- Take about one tablespoon of cheese mixture to the end of the zucchini slice and roll. Add to the baking dish standing up. Repeat until all zucchini slices have been rolled or your dish is full.
- Cover zucchini rollatini with mozzarella cheese and bake uncovered on 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Serve with fresh parmesan, parsley, and a side of spaghetti.
If you have thin or short pieces of zucchini, you can double wrap them to ensure they are extra secure! Leftover cheese mixture? Throw it in some baked ziti and enjoy!